LAST UPDATED: May 21, 2015
Personal Information We May Collect
“Personal Information” is information that identifies someone as an individual. In addition to Personal Information, Other Information (as defined below) may be collected in connection with the Platform; the collection, use and disclosure of Other Information is addressed separately below, under the heading “OTHER INFORMATION”
We and our third-party service providers may collect the following Personal Information:
- Date of birth.
- Physical and mailing addresses.
- Telephone number.
- E-mail address.
- Other personally identifiable information (including personally identifiable information contained within files or video and certain of your health information, if provided by you) about you and third parties that you may choose to transmit or otherwise make available through the Platform to Mount Sinai and/or its third-party service providers and business partners, including by completing profile forms, completing applications, questionnaires or similar documents, communicating with customer service personnel, and otherwise interacting with Mount Sinai and its third-party service providers and business partners.
Certain Personal Information is voluntary and not required to access or use the Platform; other Personal Information may be mandatory and required to access or use the Platform or certain portions of the Platform.
How We May Use Personal Information
We and our third-party service providers may use Personal Information:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send notifications to you, complete your transactions and otherwise operate the Platform.
- To send administrative information to you, including information regarding the Platform and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To allow you to send and receive messages (including files, video and text messages) to and from other individuals, through or in connection with the Platform, and to send and receive such messages on your behalf.
- To help us improve your experience, including by learning more about your preferences to help personalize your experience with us.
- For our business purposes, such as quality assessment, data analysis, audits, developing new products and services, improving the Platform, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
- To protect the security or integrity of our businesses and online properties, including the Platform.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public or government authorities, including public or government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of our affiliates, service providers, members, you or others, including through credit-fraud protection and risk reduction; (g) at our discretion ny-1180765 2 under emergency circumstances, to notify emergency services or your family members, personal representative or other individuals involved in your care of your location and condition; or (h) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send information or messages(including files, video and text messages) through or in connection with the Platform, including messages that we may send on your behalf.
- By you, through messages (including files, video and text messages), profile pages, user directories and other functionality with which you are able to share or post information and materials. We are not responsible for such recording, access, use, alteration, manipulation or disclosure. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, in connection with the Platform.
- To a third party in the event personal information is transferred or made available to such third party in connection with any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public or government authorities, including public or government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of our affiliates, service providers, members, you or others, including through credit-fraud protection and risk reduction; (g) at our discretion under emergency circumstances, to notify emergency services or your family members, personal representative or other individuals involved in your care of your location and condition; or (h) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal a person’s specific identity, such as:
- Browser information.
- Server log files.
- Technical information about your device and Internet connection.
- Statistics concerning messages (including files, video and text messages) sent or received through the Platform, such as the length of such messages, the IP Addresses involved and other technical parameters.
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies.
- Physical location information.
- Demographic information.
- Aggregated information.
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our third-party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through server log files: Your “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to the device that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user uses the Platform, along with the time of the use and the pages or areas visited within the Platform. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many websites and applications. We and our third-party service providers use IP Addresses for purposes such as helping to calculate usage levels of the Platform, diagnose server problems and administer the Platform.
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected automatically through your device, such as your operating system name and version, device manufacturer, device identity and model, language, and the name and version of the software application you are using.
- Device location information: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower, your IP Address or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you choose to deny such uses and/or sharing, we and/or our marketing partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) and other similar technologies may be used in connection with some pages and areas of the Platform and HTML-formatted e-mail messages to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Platform and e-mail recipients, measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage and response rates of the Platform.
- From you: We may collect demographic information such as, for example, your age, occupation and family status, as well as other information when you voluntarily provide such information to us. We may also collect such information about you from third parties. Unless combined with Personal Information, this information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Platform.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Platform. For example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have attended a particular event.
How We May Use and Disclose Other Information
Because Other Information does not personally identify you, we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your zip code with your name). If we combine any Other Information with Personal Information, the combined information will be treated by us as Personal Information as long as it is so combined.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information under our control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system is guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please also be aware that we may use third-party cloud service providers that provide hosting, data storage and other services pursuant to standard terms and conditions; accordingly, we conduct reasonable due diligence on such service providers and seek to require them to protect Personal Information. We cannot, however, be ultimately responsible for the data security measures of any third parties If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “CONTACTING US” section below.
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you would like to review or update your Personal Information that has been previously provided to us, you may do so by logging into your account within the Platform, or, for certain Personal Information that is not reviewable through the Platform, you may contact us in accordance with the “CONTACTING US” section below. We will try to comply with your request to update your Personal Information as soon as reasonably practicable. We are not responsible for changing information from the databases of third parties with whom we have already shared your Personal Information.