On Tuesday, September 11th, Dr. Christian B. Ramers, MPH, AAHIVS presented on: “Hepatitis C and Drug Use: Addressing Screening, Treatment, and Stigma.”
1. Review the epidemiology of HCV among people who use drugs (PWUD).
2. Describe HCV transmission among PWUD and the role of drug use in HCV transmission.
3. Discuss the importance of treating PWUD and available treatment regimens.
o Dr. Ramers is the Assistant Medical Director for Research and Special Populations at the Family Health Centers of San Diego, a large Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) system serving nearly 200,000 medically underserved individuals throughout San Diego County. He serves as a primary care physician and consultant for patients living with HIV, HBV, HCV, Tuberculosis, and for those who are homeless or in residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs. He helps lead a buprenorphine and naloxone-based Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) program, as well as several grant-funded educational initiatives designed to adapt HIV and HCV care in the primary care setting using telehealth mentoring platforms.
– Scientific Advisory Board: Gilead, Abbvie
– Speaker’s Bureau: Gilead, Merck, AbbVie, Janssen, Clinical Care Options
– Research Grants/Consulting: Gilead, HRSA/SPNS, NIH, NCI, SAMHSA, CA Dept Public Health, Project ECHO, HealthHIV, Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI)